
As you get older, birthdays become less important and no big deal. Since this year my new age did not end in a 5 or 0, I decided to make my birthday special on my own terms! And it was truly great. We invited two families from church with little girls to join our family at John's Incredible Pizza (a nicer version of Chuck E. Cheese's) to celebrate my birthday. These two families (the DeCarlos and the Madrids) are very special to us. We have bonded with them since we have been attending Calvary Chapel. Their girls (Kenadie-7, Morgan-7, Lexie-5, Hope-5 and Abigail-1) have become comfortable with us and enjoy hanging out with us as much as we enjoy them! We knew we would have a great time...and we did! There is something really great about watching young children have a good time. And knowing that you helped provide it, makes it even greater. The girls played video games, rode carousels, bumper cars (on which they thoroughly enjoyed bumping Geoffrey into the wall) and won lots of tickets! We ate a very cute bunny cake made by Jenn Madrid and went home very exhausted. The best part about it for me was that the little girls made me feel important. You tend to forget as a parent how genuine kid's affections are, and sadly, overlook them when they are your own children. This made me realize that life is too short not to notice the small stuff. I was so thankful for this little reality check. And besides, it does a heart good (yes, even an old one) to be loved by a child! Thank you girls, I love you!

On my actual birthday (Sunday), the celebration was small and casual. My children made me a "shape" cake. When my children were small, I would make them a cake shaped like a dinosaur or bear or dog...a shape cake. After the many years of baking, I figured I was due. And since they are old enough to navigate the kitchen without my help, it was time. They made me a wonderful pink butterfly cake loaded with M&Ms. It did a mom's heart good that they were willing to do that for me. It was really cute and tasted great, too! Happy birthday to me!!
1 comment:
What a tremendous loser I am. I had a horrible Sunday and all I was thinking about was myself. I'm sorry, Sister.
Post a Comment