We headed up Wednesday at noon. Encountered some serious rain about halfway into the journey. If you can't tell what the sound on the video is, it's extremely loud rain. And our first night in Flagstaff contained some seriously loud, I mean shake the walls loud, thunder!
She was scheduled for an 11 am move in time on Thursday so we started our day by registering her bike and getting a bike locker (best thing we did all day) and having a "power" breakfast at IHop. Hers consists of Nutella Crepes with strawberries and hot cocoa (atta girl!). Then we were off to the pet store to get her a fish for her dorm room. Yes, she really thought she needed to have a pet since she was leaving all of hers behind :) Then it was time to unload her crap (oh, I mean stuff). Thankfully, NAU has devised a fabulous move in day system. They have athletes at the ready to help you unload and carry all of your boxes to your room. I kid you not, the truck was unloaded and boxes carted to the 2nd floor in a matter of minutes. I think I only carried one box! Absolutely fabulous! Eric was extremely happy he didn't have to unload it by himself :) Then we were able to spend the next several hours unloading the boxes and getting everything into its perfect place. And since her roommate wasn't due for several hours, we were able to spread out.
Her room is still a work in progress, but so far this is the result...
Pretty cute, huh? And really cheerful :)
She spent that night in her room. And had a reasonable night. She's gonna have to get used to some unwanted noise. But that will come. She needed our help for a few more errands on Friday so we were able to hang out with her a little more. That was nice. We had dinner plans on Friday with the Richerts. A longtime family connection that the Lord brought back together. The girls had not met so it was a great time to meet and get to know each other. It is so awesome to see the hand of God working in my daughter's life. From the way he orchestrated a roommate to how he uses simple family connections to confirm that this is really where Kymberli belongs. So after dinner Friday night, we decided it was time to say our goodbyes. I have to say anticipating the "goodbye" was actually worse than saying it. Eric and I prayed with her, told her how proud of her we are and to "know who you are, know what you believe, but more importantly, know who you belong to." And also, give her my usual goodbye of "kick butt and take names!" We were able to hug her, tell her we love her and say goodbye without any tears! And I know that was all possible because of all the people praying for our parent hearts, but also for the sheer fact that we KNOW that this is where she is supposed to be!
Paige Black (roommate), Kymberli & Averi Richert
Eric and I headed home on Saturday. It will be strange walking by her empty room (mostly because I can see the floor!). But it will become the "new normal" soon. Really looking forward to going back for Family Weekend on 9/28 to see just how well she has adapted to her new life and meet all of her friends!

2 comments:
Gma Charlotte has tears in her eyes-----but they are happy tears for Kymberli and her exciting new life at college. Good job Mom & Dad! You have raised her well!
I can't wait to visit! Gives us one more place to road trip to!!!
Post a Comment