Thursday, September 18, 2008

You will not believe...

OK, you say, what will we not believe? Let me explain...

The Kern County Fair opened yesterday. Foothill marching band has the privilege of being the only high school band asked to play in the opening ceremonies parade. So, since Kymberli is in the band this year, we went to the fair to see her perform. Not exciting, I know, just wait.


Since my mother is still in Texas helping to take care of baby Macey, my dad is at home alone. We extended an invitation for him to join us at the fair. He and Kymberli have a fun game they play ("glad you got to see me") and we thought the surprise would be fun for her and give Dad something to do. He did join us there with a surprise for us...he brought Mark, Scott and Cari. :) I know, still not any big deal, hold on.

While we were waiting for the parade, Mark saw one of the fair attractions called The Slingshot in action. He started talking about how cool that was and how he really wanted to do it. Mark leaves for the Air Force Basic Training on Monday and one tiny little scratch would keep him out so we were discouraging such an activity. Well, he's 18 and just couldn't get it out of his head. And when we were walking around looking at all of fair "stuff," we ended up right in front of it. You could tell by how intently he was watching that he really wanted to do it. So when Grandpa discovered that it wasn't as pricey as we thought, we let him give it a go. OK, now we're getting close.
It is a ride designed for 2 people and Scott wanted nothing to do with it. Cari was too young. Uncle Eric and Grandpa didn't seem to be too interested in going either. Guess who went with Mark...ME!! That's right, Stephanie went on The Slingshot! I thought Mark's eyes were going to bug out of his head when I told him I would go with him. That was worth it right there! Then Eric's and Dad's mouths fell open. Then I had to go through with it. Anyway, we survived this ride that shot us up 235 feet at a speed of 160 mph. Holy moly!! It met all of Mark's expectations. I just wanted to get off in one piece. (The photo we have of us in the air didn't turn out well. Just trust us when we say we were WAY up there !)


What we don't do for the people we love. Mark really wanted to do this and I was happy (once I got back on the ground) to be the one to do it with him. I think I have just earned some serious Auntie bonus points!! Not to mention the fact that my husband and father were totally impressed. :) Yea me!! Can you believe it?

4 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

They have that at Six Flags in St Louis, NO WAY I would ever get on that thing. I too am impressed. At the Fair no less!

Megan (aka Emme) said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is so crazy! I did that probably 9 years ago with Jarhead! We had so much fun. Please tell me you watched the video of yourself flying through the air...

Becker Family said...

They said the video camera was broken :(

Allison said...

AHHHHHH! You win Auntie points, this Auntie can't top that!